Friday, February 19, 2010

Food Waste Friday

In an effort to reduce our grocery costs one of the things I am doing is to be more concious of our food waste. So I am participating in Kristen's Food Waste Friday @ The Frugal Girl. My garbage day is on Tuesday so I actually threw this out on Tuesday but am posting here on Friday to play along with everyone else at home.


Last weekend we went out of town so I worked very hard to use up all our leftovers; and we did really well. Here's what was left (and some of this was from before this past week).


The celery is actually left from my Christmas stuffing! The tortilla package was left open and they are now rock hard. The cheese whiz, well is cheese whiz, do I really need to say anything about that. A bit of salad, a few strawberries and a bit of gravy. The bowl has some mac and cheese that got pushed to the back of the fridge. The bottle has a butter and jalepeno basting sauce which I bought several years ago, the best before date is this June! but I didn't feel like it would be very safe to use anymore.

I had a bit of time so I actually removed each shelf and cleaned it and was really able to sort through what was there, hence the suace and cheese whiz. I did not clean out the crisper drawers or the door shelves, maybe next week - there will be a bit more stuff then for sure.

The best thing about this week's food waste for me was there was not a huge amount of actual groceries tossed and not a lot of waste from meals either!

2 comments:

its me, sam

Jane, I added your blog to my side bars.

Anonymous

I always try to do food waste Friday too! Pushes me to do better next week! :) Had to laugh about your chew whiz comments... lol!

Post a Comment